The government of India is all set to digitalize the country, and promote the same throughout India. Initiating the concept of a digital locker in India is one of such initiatives. It was launched with a purpose to offer a secure platform to Indians to store and access their valuable documents on an electronic repository offered by the government of India.
The basic objective of the scheme is to make the country digitally literate and let the people keep their important documents and papers on an electronic medium. The government of India had also integrated the scheme with the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways so that more and more people can take advantage of the digital locker system by storing the digital version of their driving license and other vehicle documents on the DigiLocker. They can then easily roam throughout India carrying a soft copy of the same with themselves when driving.
Until now, more than 2 million have already registered with the DigiLocker as its registered users. However, in comparison to country’s humongous population, the figure is actually very less. So creating awareness of the people about Digital Locker is the need of the hour.
Top 6 Facts of DigiLocker That you must know
- DigiLocker scheme was launched by Department of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India a few months back.
- Important documents such as University Degrees, Driving License and Marksheets could be saved electronically on DigiLocker.
- Maharashtra is the state with a maximum number of users using Digital Locker facility.
- A user can use up to 10MB space to store his personal documents in it. The Government is in talk with the Google and other IT firms to enhance the limit up to 1GB space in the near future.
- Many educational bodies including CBSE and other state boards are planning to release results online to promote the use of digital lockers.
- Aadhaar card is mandatory to use the enhanced features of the digital locker facility. However, some reports suggest that basic work can be done on digital locker without Aadhaar card too.
Why Too Many People Not Using Digital Locker Facility
Everything has its reasons. For the first time ever India is going digital and there is no doubt that many people will have some doubts about it before accepting it as a part of life. Similar things happened in the late 90s when the computer was making its entry into human life – many people vehemently opposed the idea then.
The government should come forward and let the people of the nation know its advantages and disadvantages. The whole concept of digital locker needs some more clarity too.
- Most of the people are not fully sure whether they require Aadhaar Card only to get access to the facility or can it be accessed through other valid photo Id cards as well.
- Privacy is a major concern. What will happen if someone hacks into your digital locker and tamper with your documents?
- Not everybody has a computer to access to the DigiLocker facility.
- It’s still not clear that how a user can link his state government locker to that of central government locker and vice versa.
- The government’s DigiLocker website is still in its Beta version now.
Whatsoever, the digitalization process has already begun in India and it’s just a matter of time when the concept of the digital locker will become a talk of the city and villages considering its enormous advantages and massive benefits.