Only 10 days remaining. We are finally standing on the verge of welcoming the new and first dawn of January 1st, 2016. While we are ready to enjoy the New Year’s Eve and the first dawn of the upcoming year, it is necessary to know about the important events that are scheduled to take place in the following months.
The year 2016 will certainly have action-packed calendar ranging from the world of sports to politics. Here is the list of important events and happening to follow in 2016:
1) The US Presidential Elections 2016: The biggest event of this year’s political fight will take place on November 8, 2016. The anti-incumbency factor is gaining momentum this year like never before. Especially after Obama’s two straight wins in 2008 and 2012, there is certainly a feeling of change across the voters. The 58th US presidential elections later this New Year will determine who will be the boss of the World’s superpower. This year it is expected that the US elections will be fought between two fiery orators; Hillary Clinton and Jeb Bush. Both candidates have proven track records in Politics and American society in particular.
2) The 2016 Summer Olympics (Rio de Janeiro): For sports lovers and enthusiasts, the year 2016 is the more special. The Rio 2016 (Olympic Games) will be staged later in the year at the venues in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The quadrennial mega sporting event, Olympics, is set to spellbind all sports lover worldwide with stellar performances from the athletes. The grand event will be inaugurated at a glittering ceremony in the Brazilian city on 5th August, 2016. As many as 306 gold-winning opportunities will be there for the athletes to grab from their respective nations. The 16-day gala event will be concluded on 21st August, 2016.
3) The Launch of Polymer Currency Notes in the UK: Believe it or not, the year 2016, is set to be the path bearer for many nations as far as revolution in banking technology and innovation is concerned. This New Year UK will launch polymer currency notes in the UK. Yes, you heard it absolutely right; the bank of England will issue its first set of plastic banknotes for general circulation later this forthcoming year. Initially, a currency note of £5 denomination bearing an image of Sir Winston Churchill will be launched. Historically, it’s the first time that any nation adopt plastic currency note for general circulation.
4) Wimbledon Tennis Championship 2016: It is counted as the most prestigious international tennis championship. The history of Wimbledon takes us back to 1877, around 138 years back, when inaugural Wimbledon championship was played. Until now, the tournament is viewed as the most coveted one. Last year, Novak Djokovik won the championship winning the final battle against Roger Federer. This time London will be hosting the gala event and the winner will win around £ 2 Million. The tournament starts from 27th June to 10th July 2016.
5) Afghanistan to Fight It Alone: It is expected that the year 2016 will change the face of Afghanistan’s tormented socio-political scenario. After staying active on Afghan soil for a long period of time, American armed forces will leave the nation. The country is hub of global terrorism and law and crisis. Though, the exact date is not known, but the decision will take place sometime in the next year.
6) ICC World T20 Championship 2016: Cricket, one of the most popular sports in the commonwealth countries, will witness the gala tournament of the year – ICC World T20 Championship. This event is touted as the biggest event in cricket after the ICC Cricket World Cup. India is widely popular for the craze of cricket like the UK.