Everyone wants to make the first day of the year a special one. People do celebrate New Year day as per their own tradition and customs, but some food stuff assumes huge importance on this day. It is believed that certain food items bring lots of good luck and prosperity in the coming year. So, the celebration of New Year day without good food is impossible.
Here are the top 10 Food Stuffs that you can’t miss on the first dawn of 2016;
1) Lentils: In countries like Hungary and Italy, Lentils are in much demand. Hungarians believe that lentils have the capacity to bring good luck and prosperity, hence consuming them on New Year day is a good omen. They prefer making soup with lentils. Similarly, Italians prepare Cotechino con Lenticchie (green lentils with sausage) as the dish is associated with wealth and prosperity as per the belief.
2) Grapes: Believe it or not, grapes have their own significance. In Spain, people believe that 12 grapes should be consumed before the clock strikes 12 on the midnight of 31st It is believed that by doing so lots good fortune can be obtained for the rest or 12 months.
3) Noodles: In Asian countries like the Japan and China, long noodles imply long longevity. Hence people love preparing long noodles to make an auspicious start to the New Year. On this day, noodles are prepared as it is. They are neither broken nor cut.
4) Greens: For the last few centuries together Green has always been a symbol of prosperity, progress and peace. People living in Europe and coastal America don’t miss to have green vegetable on New Year day. It is often said that more green you eat, more healthy and prosperous you will become.
5) Round Fruits: Be it Asia, Europe and the US or any other place, the significance of consuming round fruits on the New Year day is one thing without which the occasion remains incomplete. As per the western tradition (applicable to Europe and the US) nibbling any 12 round fruits is good for the near future.
6) Cornbread: This food stuff is quintessential to the rocking start of a new year. Especially, in the southern US people never forget to add this dish to their New Year menu-list as it symbolizes prosperity and progress.
7) Whole Fish: We are well aware that fish are very popular in South Asia. Fish curry and Fish fry are the most delectable dishes throughout the region. In China, fish are the symbol of good luck and abundance. However, on the first day of the year people prefer eating the whole fish from head to tail which signifies a prosperous year from January to December.
8) Buttered Bread: It is used more as a symbolic gesture than a dish. In Ireland, people have a faith that by keeping buttered bread outside the door, it will make the New Year a prosperous one. The gesture ensures that the family residing in the house shall never suffer from hunger.
9) Black-Eyed Peas: Hoppin’ John is one of the most important recipes that people of southern US love to prepare with lots of pleasure and fun. The dish promotes happiness and success in the New Year. Black-Eyed Pea is the most essential ingredients used to prepare Hoppin’ John.
10) Pomegranate: Nobody can deny the medical properties of this astonishing fruit as it gives instant energy and also raises the level of Hemoglobin in the blood. But, many don’t know that in Turkey, people love to eat Pomegranate as it demonstrates human heart, life and fertility.